Sunday, July 1, 2018

"Checking In"


Now that I have begun my summer travels I was thinking about the concept of “Checking in” on Social Media. I flew to Virginia, used a geo filter on snapchat, drove to Maryland, posted a picture with my location on Instagram, flew back to Tampa, FL checked in at the airport on Facebook. We can check in on most social media apps; Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat. Why do we advertise to our followers and friends where we are in the world? What are the benefits?

I really only check in on social media if I am traveling or at a “cool” bar or restaurant. Why I do it, I’m not entirely sure. Maybe I just want people to know I don’t sit at home all the time binge watching Netflix during the summer.

However, having consumers check into businesses on social media has many benefits according to the Digital Marketing Resource Center. Not only does this promote social engagement as mentioned in a previous post of mine, but is it good branding for the business. I’m nowhere near a business major or understand the inner workings of running a business but I have witnessed this checking in marketing work first hand.

A few months ago, I saw a Facebook add for a new boot camp style gym opening in Tallahassee. The add was directed at women wanting to lose weight to participate in a 6-week fitness challenge for free, and I decided to give it a try. Upon signing up, one of the caveats to get your deposit back at the end of the challenge was to check in on Facebook every time you went to the gym.  I thought this was going to be annoying. I did not want people to think I was turning into a gym buff and bragging about it on Facebook. But of course, I wanted my deposit back so proceeded to check in every morning I went to the gym.

It was crazy the amount of people that said something to me about my Facebook posts. Some were encouraging thoughts, others even asked me about the gym, possibly wanting to sign up. Throughout the course of the 6 week challenge many new people signed up at the gym not only from me checking in but the other women who were checking in as well.  

So while many adults might find it weird that you want to share your location with you social media followers, it definitely has its benefits for businesses.

1 comment:

  1. Maganne, that's a great example of the promotional power of social media - it's ability to spread awareness and generate buzz has definitely turned the traditional advertising models upside-down. I've always been hesitant about the location tracking features on social media. All of the cyber security training I've received in the military has recommended disabling those features. I can see the advantage though for a business owner though, it's almost like a virtual guest book.

    ReplyDelete