Saturday, July 7, 2018

"TMI"


I grew up with Facebook being my number #1 social media tool, and when I first started using this tool the main complaint from everyone was that people were sharing irrelevant details. “Who cares that Jenny went to the beach today?”, “Why is Bryan sharing a photo of his dinner?”, etc. These were the typical comments others would make towards social media.

There is still a debate over whether people are sharing too much information, and maybe too much personal information online.  I personally do not care if people share photos of their dinner or tell about their daily events. I believe that’s their prerogative as to what information about their life they want to share online. If you or someone is annoyed by TMI then unfollow these people.

Now, Twitter has turned into the social media tool in which people share the little things happening and Facebook is more about family photos, food videos, and shared articles.  Others share more information on social media tools that create a higher degree of anonymity because their true identities are not known. 

I think there is a benefit to sharing some information about yourself. It keeps the people in your communities up to date and they can see how you are doing without having to call every other day. People who care and love you want to know what is going on with you, they want to see you post about new jobs and share vacation photos. I know my parents and many other adults who are not entirely into social media joined Facebook and snapchat purely out of interest to see photos and life updates.

What are your views on sharing too much information? Where should people draw the line?

3 comments:

  1. Maganne,

    Great job on your post this week. You are right, social media has created a situation where there is often too much information shared. I think that many people are more concerned about sharing information about what they’re doing and where they are going rather than posting meaningful content. The information that’s shared can lead to envy and even criminal activity. How do you think we should approach information sharing with students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with younger students theres needs to be conversations about what is and is not appropriate to share online.

      We use edmodo (which is almost like a class facebook page) and the teachers block student comments because they still do not understand how to appropriately comment and interact with one another.

      I have studied the ISTE standards in a previous class and I think these can be used as a great framework for teaching students how to interact with web 2.0. https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students

      Delete
  2. Personally I don't mind if people share a lot (or a little). To each his own. Too many photos of your new car or your cat and I might feel like hiding you for a bit, but probably won't. Too many political posts, and I probably will hide you. But then again, the algorithm might just hide you from me anyway because I'm not clicking and liking.

    ReplyDelete