Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Pinterest - A Curation Tool!




This week in EME6414 we are discussing curation online as one of our topics. Little did I know that Pinterest was one of the tools that falls under this category. If you don’t know by now what Pinterest is and what it can do, you might be living under a rock. Pinterest lets you search for ideas and “pin” them to your “boards”. This feature allows user to organize ideas so they are easily retrieved in the future.

I love using Pinterest to sort my ideas. In fact, my recent trip to New York City was planned using Pinterest! A year ago, my boyfriend and I decided that we wanted to take a trip to NYC and that’s when I created the idea board of the same name. I began to search to just search “New York City” and found some tourist activities that we could do. When we finally planned our trip and realized we only had about three days in the city I searched for “short NYC trips” and found a bunch of blog links to ideal itineraries for short trips. We found restaurants, rooftop bars, and hidden places to visit all through Pinterest. Since Pinterest is easy to use throughout this planning process I was able to quickly manage my board and pull up ideas to plan with my boyfriend. It was a very successful trip, and we were able to see everything on our list and more, with some thanks to Pinterest.

I use Pinterest frequently especially this summer. This summer I have used Pinterest not only to plan my NYC trip but to also plan a Bridal Shower and Bachelorette Party! Pinterest has shared boards where you can invite friends to “pin” ideas to a single board. This made it easy for the Bridal Party to plan these events even though we live in different cities.

Pinterest is also great for those that love to cook or bake! I can almost always find what I’m looking for when it comes to recipes. Low carb, gluten free, low fat, paleo, Whole30, and keto recipes are all over Pinterest. They also have cute bake sale or holiday treat ideas to give you some inspiration as well.

I also use this to find lesson plans, educational games, classroom management ideas, and organizational ideas for my classroom. Whenever I am creatively stuck it helps me to get onto Pinterest to get some fresh ideas!

Pinterest is mostly for my benefit when it comes to school. I do not foresee myself using this particular curation tool with students. I have a few in mind that might help which I will blog about once I get the hang of them.

Any ideas on how to use Pinterest with students?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maganne, I consider myself a rock dweller when it comes to social media in general, but I do know what Pintrest is! : ) But I can't take credit for it, it's actually because my wife enjoys using it to find all kinds of inspiration. She has curated quite a few boards and she even has one for me - mostly of projects that she thinks would be good for me to work on. It sounds like you are pretty familiar with the platform so I wanted to ask, are you mostly a consumer or are you also a producer? I have only searched on Pinterest before to find interesting items, but I've never created a pin of my own. With you recent travel planning experience, did you find that there were things you wanted to do that were not represented in the pins you found?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erick! I am mostly a consumer when it comes to using pinterest since I have not created any pins myself. I am hoping to try it out soon and post links to this blog or lesson plans I have created.

      I found there to be more than enough information on NYC and traveling on Pinterest, or I would click on the link and it would lead me to other great traveling blogs where I could get even more information on activities to do. I think its great because even if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for at first, it eventually points in me in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Hi Maganne, I posed the same question over on my blog (leahedblog.blogspot.com) as well! I found a link to an article that listed a few different ways you could actually use Pinterest in the classroom, although the execution was a little vague. It sounds like you use Pinterest almost in place of list making? I sort of stopped using this tool for awhile, I didn't realize that the search feature had become quite so detailed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell folks more (another post?) about how you find inspiration as an educator on Pinterest? More detail about how to find resources, etc? I'm sure your classmates would be interested.

    ReplyDelete