Sunday, July 15, 2018

How I Use Pinterest As A Teacher

In a previous post I raved about how much I enjoy using Pinterest for traveling, cooking, and work. Since there was much interest around this tool I decided I would write more about how Pinterest is a great tool for educators.

I have two Pinterest Boards dedicated to work and teaching the first one "6th Grade World History" contains pins that pertains specifically to World History activities and other age appropriate activities for my current teaching position.  The other board titled "Teach it" contains pins that are geared towards classroom management, organizational ideas, inspirational quotes, poster ideas, and other information that I could use with any class or grade. Pinterest recently added a feature where you can divide your boards into sections and this summer I went through and put pins and ideas that I would like to print and hang up in my classroom in a "Print/Laminate" section so I could easily access those pictures when it came time to print.

Most of the time I will just be scrolling through Pinterest on my mobile app and come across ideas for lesson plans or classroom procedures and will come back to them at a later time. I more frequently scroll for inspiration during the summer months to help me get some fresh ideas for the upcoming school year. Some things that I come across I will pin because I know they will be helpful on a certain unit or project that I do with my students during the school year. In fact I stumbled across one pin last summer and it inspired my whole curriculum for the upcoming school year!

If I am having a hard time coming up with fun ideas while lesson planning during the school year I will log onto Pinterest and search for that specific topic. This will get my creative juices following even if I do not find anything that fits my learning goal exactly. Most links will take me to Teachers Pay Teachers or other popular teaching blogs.

This summer was my first time working our school's Intro to Middle School summer camp and since I could make my own curriculum, I turned immediately to Pinterest, for some ideas on what I wanted to do. I found crafts and team building games that I used to create the summer camp curriculum!

Pinterest is a great tool for teachers to find inspiration on everything from lesson plans to fun word searches! I would recommend creating a board and pinning ideas for when you need them!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing how you use Pinterest! I think this is a really useful description for other teachers.

    ReplyDelete